A pre-sales engineer supports the sales process. This engineer serves as a technology adviser to both prospective customers and representatives of currently assigned client accounts. Successful pre-sales engineers display a strong commitment to developing and maintaining long-term customer relationships. The ability to understand customer requirements, determine the best solutions and effectively communicate the value proposition of those solutions are critical skills.
Roles and Responsibilities :
- Proactively scopes the technical solution required to address customer requirements, assesses customers’ met and unmet needs, and recommends solutions that optimize value for both the customer and the firm.
- Secures input formal necessary solution stakeholders within the customer firm. Adapts solutions, as necessary, to ensure appropriate support.
- Coordinates closely with internal sales, sales support, and service resources to align solution design with customers’ business requirements.
- Secures from customer technical staff commitments needed to ensure a deal’s “technical close.”
- Meets assigned targets for profitable sales growth in assigned product lines, market areas, channel, or teams supported.
- Provides coaching and professional development to team- member sales associates in order to enhance their product knowledge, technical acumen, and technical sales skills.
- Opportunistically pursues additional business development opportunities within customer firms. Collaborates with sales to ensure these opportunities are effectively covered and advanced.
- Monitors customer support for technical solutions proposed throughout the sales process, and alerts the sales and account teams to potential risks of deal closure.
- Bachelor’s degree in information technology, computer science, software engineering, or related field
- 2+ years of work experience in a relevant role
- Proven history of generating innovative and effective solutions
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills to explain complex technical topics in an easily digestible manner
- Experience with database management and proper systems security best practices
- Willingness to work independently and as part of a team